The first day, we arrived at 4:45am (first hurdle). My group was only three (I think they knew who they were dealing with here) and they were Aaron's usual lunch bunch.
After six hours of travel, we went to Ontario Science Centre. That was the worst challenge of the whole group. Kids were still getting the "I need to stay with my chaperone" concept down (not quickly) and it was just one of those places where everyone wants to see what
After awhile, we moved on to Parliament. The stairs in that place were brutal, but worse was the expectation of really good behavior and silence. How would Aaron manage with his vocal tics? I was warned not to even take off a sweater for heavens sakes. As it turned out, when they learned he had Tourettes, the Canadians were fine with a lot of throat clearing!! I doubt many of the kids really liked that tour though, and their main focus was the mace without which a session couldn't be held. Had anyone actually ever stolen it? The Americans -- in the War of 1812.
It was time for Casa Loma, and it was a perfect day for wandering the grounds.
Next we dropped bags in our rooms at the Sheraton Centre -- this involved me switching to a girl's group (they were all so mature and responsible) while a Dad took my boy's group to another floor and their own room. We met back downstairs and went to Eaton Center for dinner. All boys wanted something different from the Food Court and we were all supposed to stay together, so it was interesting. And not particularly tasty.
One Dad and I fantasized about sneaking away for some of the really good stuff outside of Eaton Centre that a city like Toronto has to offer. If Chris had been along, he would've bolted for it! Suffice it to say I didn't eat a lot of mine. I tried out the Chinese and while the steamed veggies were good, I should remember that anything covered in sauce of any kind at a food mall is an attempt to cover up cardboard meat.
Now for the subway and skywalk adventure to get over to CN Tower. I made sure no one fell off the platform and we safely traversed to an amazing view. The weather didn't permit the outside deck, but Aaron had me take a lot of photos of him laying on the glass floor at the top and kids enjoyed watching a ball game from 1400' up that was taking place in the Rodgers Centre. It was great. I'm actually afraid of elevators and heights -- and not too crazy about that security thing that puts you in a box and blows air on you to see if you're armed or something -- but I loved CN Tower. I also felt like I overcame some personal trepidation. Aaron loved going there and his teachers were amazed at how well he did with all the walking (he has had some neuromuscular issues). That scout trip to Nordhouse Dunes really paid off in practice (10 mile hike)!
Finally, we travelled south to Niagara to ride the Maid of the Mist. I haven't gotten my photos back on this one yet, but wow, in all my visits to the falls, I have never experienced them like that. They were all around and I was at the bottom. I like them better that way. Then I can't go over! No one fell out of the boat, although there was some scrambling when it tipped (in probably a very normal fashion) while turning. Our ponchos served quite well, and we enjoyed dinner at Rainforest Cafe and came home. Yay!
The teacher was very prepared at customs, and a couple of minutes ahead laid everyone's certified birth certificate or passport in his or her lap, and had instructed them about politeness, silence unless asked a question, etc. It paid off as we had a little tension there. The Americans almost didn't let the Americans back in.
No comments:
Post a Comment